Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Time

The school year has ended and my injured foot is beginning to mend. My days are now wide open and waiting to be filled with relaxation, rejuvenation, and creativity. I've been thinking about my friend (at the Dew Drop Inn) Diane's penchant for scheduling, realizing that I, too, work most productively with a routine of sorts. This requires making a commitment to myself: I actually do want time for writing and time to pursue my hobbies more deeply. My lifestyle as a teacher affords me this gift each summer, so why let procrastination and self-doubt hold it hostage?

My first big project is to develop a week-long, half-day curriculum for a writing camp for 3rd to 5th graders, which will take place next week at Nueva Summer. I have been eating up writing books left and right, such as Ralph Fletcher's Pyrotechnics on the Page and Aimee Buckner's Notebook Know-How, books that don't pertain as much to my usual first grade clientele. I've been envisioning a writing space for these young people to spend time playing word games, creating writer's notebooks with tools, and just put words on the page. We will take advantage of the beautiful coastal oak woodlands exploring nature with our senses, and we'll end each day with a good solid chunk of writing time. This project has ignited my passion for teaching and writing all over again, and it is inspiring me to Dream Big. I love dreaming, don't you?

So here's to celebrating the fruits of a well-planned day. Let's make things happen!

1 comment:

  1. you know i love this!

    i have been experimenting with regular studio hours each morning for the last few weeks...and i can report that it's heavenly! :)

    i am so excited to hear about your camp! it's going to be wonderful.

    xo

    ReplyDelete